Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Beans Beans the Musical Fruit....

Ok you win, I am ready to relate my recent concoctions.
We've been busy, we had family visiting from Las Vegas this past week and in true form we had a pot luck BBQ/pool PARTY!!  I had decided to bring something other than the traditional so I thought long and hard....BAKED BEANS, that isn't something we normally have. 
Now I have only ever eaten beans from a can and there are many different types (Bush's, Hunts, No Name...) Actually I was referring to pork n molasses, maple, BBQ, spicy etc. smarty pantses!  I did some online research and came up with 2 recipes that I liked so hmmm what about just combining some of each? Why not? That makes it MY recipe doesn't it?  YES IT DOES!


First and foremost I should tell you that while cooking my beans I had to Google "why are my beans still hard" (told you I had never done it before) Do you want to know the answer?? Huh? Do ya?  Apparently you shouldn't put any salt in the mixture until the beans are already soft....so um hi Food Network where were you on THAT one?  They turned out to be a hit anyway and did end up being softer after a little more than the anticipated wait time (just not quite like canned ones)  I should also tell you that you aren't going to get any pictures on this portion because, well, I already mentioned they were a hit - and....I forgot to take some.
So without further ado
Betty Martha's Best Ever Baked Beans


4 cups navy beans
Enough water to cover them by a few inches
1 large onion diced
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 c. brown sugar (approx.)
1 c. molasses
2 tbsp. yellow mustard
3 c. ketchup
2 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
6 strips bacon - cut into small pieces
3 tbsp secret spice (which I guess I should divulge to you below)


Rinse and drain beans, you don't want to chip your tooth on a stone that looks like a bean do you?
Place beans in your crock pot and fill with enough water to cover by a few inches (these puppies will expand!)  Soak overnight.
In the morning drain and rinse again.  Return the beans to the crock pot and fill with about 5 cups of water - you can always add more (I did)
Next add all of the ingredients EXCEPT the secret spice - and if you read my "Google" episode you'll know that one part of the secret is it contains salt.
Mix thoroughly and place bacon randomly, or in a pattern of a happy face like I did over the top.
Turn your crock onto high and leave it be...about 6 hours in, (guesstimating here as I put EVERYTHING into the pot on my first try) throw in the spice and stir, continue cooking for another 2-3 hours.
Just before you are ready to serve I read that you should take out some of the beans, (about 1/2-1cup) mash them and put them back in - so I did.  Is it ok to NOT do it?  Sure then you can say its YOUR recipe!
Serve :)


BM's Secret Spice - can be used for dry rubs on  meats/potatoes as well
1/2 c. paprika
1/4 c. kosher salt (fine)
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. chili powder
1/4 c. cumin
1/4 c. granulated garlic (not salt)
3 tbsp. mustard powder
3 tbsp. curry powder (omit if you don't like curry)
2 tbsp. ground black pepper (fresh is best)
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper
Mix and store in an airtight container
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I love using my slow cooker for beans! Yours sounds great!

    ReplyDelete