Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pork Sliders with Cherry Chutney



YESSS Cherries are ready!!

Yesterday I decided to pick some cherries from the inlaws' tree. It is possible that some may have ended in a short trip down my watering windpipe, but that cant be proven so don't judge me!

I did however feel that the birds got the better deal in all of this.
The most amazing ones, you know the ones - ruby red, shiny and gigantic, were out of arms reach!
I did contemplate shaking the tree however the thought of shaking not only cherries out and onto my head where I couldn't see what was crawling around in my hair, down my clothes and into orfuses (c'mon, you've heard those stories, some insect laying eggs in ears) didn't appeal much.
I also thought about climbing the tree or getting out the ladder from the garage but those too seemed to lack positive outcomes.
I did however manage to gather about 3-4 cups SCORE!!

Ok, so now I have all these cherries...what to do...what to make... I guess the first thing that comes to mind is pie, cobblers or jam but I wanted something edgy (don't worry, I still will be making tarts and jam)

CHUTNEY!!

Me calling the other half: "So I was thinking of making cherry chutney and I think it will go well with pork and I know I promised you sliders so.... that's what we are having"
My loving other: "Uhhh, ok, what's chutney?!? I guess it sounds good?"
Well, since I am not technical I start off with "uhhhh, its like....ummm.....don't worry, you'll like it." (or at least you're going to eat it)

Its actually a condiment made from fruits or vegetables, cooked in vinegar, sugar and spices. I've never made one and come to think of it I don't think I have ever eaten any, that I remember anyway....but here goes nothin!

Chutney Ingredients: Makes approx. 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup
 
1 tsp. minced onion
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/8 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar
1/4 tsp. chili flakes (more if you like it hotter)
1 c. pitted cherries (man, that's a whole other blog!)
1/4 tsp. ground sage

In a small saucepan combine everything except cherries and sage. Bring this mixture to a boil. Once boiling, throw those tasty red goodies in along with the sage, lid it, and lower the temperature to allow a slow simmer for about 5 minutes. (to soften cherries)

Remove the lid and increase the temperature to bring back to a boil for another 5 minutes. This should allow the mixture to thicken, almost jelly like (but I make no promises, it worked for me)

VOILA! COMPLETE - now place it in the fridge (I put the whole darn pot in because I am lazy and didn't want to make more dish mess to clean up) to chill before serving.

Now everyone has a different way to prepare burgers so please feel free to use your own method if you feel yours are the best of the best but if not, then use my best of the best recipe!

Pork Sliders:
1 lbs ground pork (or whatever size the packages in the store come in because honestly I don't really look)
1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 tsp. ground sage (just to keep the flavors consistent here)
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper (oh and I use fresh cracked in ALL my cooking)
pinch of seasoning salt
Mix together and form in small palm size patties. Grill on a hot grill 4 minutes per side.
Once complete, top slider with herbed goat cheese and spoon over the chilled chutney

I have to say that even the "ugh guy" said that it was AWESOME and wayyyy better than just ketchup and mayo

ENJOY~





















Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment