Wednesday, July 7, 2010

BBQ Chicken n' (My Rendition) of My Omi's Potato Salad

Depending on where you are from in Germany you may have eaten the warm vinegary potato salad or the creamy style.  I myself prefer the creamy style my Omi has made me for years (sorry Mom)
Although I don't see much of her, my Omi knows that when I am in town she needs to make an extra HUGE bowl of it because even if there are leftovers (which there usually isn't) I will take the rest "to go".
I have to give thanks to her tenfold because no matter HOW HARD I TRY it NEVER is the same as hers!

Tonight's dinner was almost a catastrophe when the BBQ ran out of propane about 5-7 minutes too soon.
I had to finish up in the oven because as much as I like a clean washroom I wasn't about to clean 3 tomorrow morning. 

The other half has been eyeing this split propane/charcoal one for about a year now and I could hear his thoughts when he walked in the door and I said "You're going to have to wait, the dam thing went out"
It probably went something like "If she would have only let me buy the one I wanted there wouldn't be a problem right now...." (I KNOW) or "How much longer" (NOT MUCH) or  even "I hope this is the good chicken, with skin on it" (IT IS) SHEEEESH
Come to think of it, all 3 of those likely went through his head however the only one that left his mouth was "It's not THAT pink" GROSS

Back to the recipe at hand here now that you have heard about my wonderful Omi and my BBQ woes.

BBQ CHICKEN - I don't know where this idea came from but it works and I don't actually measure, its more of a seasoning with a bit of this and a touch of that

6 skin on thighs or drumsticks or even backs
approximately 1/4 c of paprika (could be less I just shake it on to the chicken to coat it on all sides)
approximately 1/8 c granulated garlic
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/8-1/4ish c soy sauce
Sprinkle spices coating all sides of the chicken in a Ziploc bag or roasting dish.  Pour on soy sauce and work it into the chicken.
Refrigerate for a minimum of 45 minutes
Heat grill, BBQ slow and low for about 20-30 minutes depending on the cut of your meat

I WISH IT WAS MY OMI'S POTATO SALAD

4-6 white or red fleshed potatoes cut into bite sized chunks
1/2 c light mayo (Hellman's)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 medium onion diced
4 dill pickles diced (or more, I like pickles)
Salt n pepper to taste
2 hard boiled eggs
pickle juice

Boil potatoes until fork tender, drain and cool.  Add diced onion and pickles to the bowl.
Mix together mayo and mustard and combine with potatoes/onions/pickles.  At this point I like to add in a few tbsp of the pickle juice as well as pepper.  Finally adding the 2 chopped eggs and gently folding in.
ITS HEAVEN IN YOUR MOUTH  - Thank you again Omi :)
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment