Saturday, August 14, 2010

Spicy Orange Chicken with Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread

Oh I am on a ROLL today my friends, this skillet and I are working miracles together.  I might just have a new love but I can't tell my Dyson.
So not only do I get to use the cast iron skillet but I get to use some produce from my garden!!  I have been waiting WEEKS for my jalapenos to be ready.  And when I mean weeks I mean weeks!  Some sort of spice loving creature has stolen a few large ones off my plant already (which is potted on my table no less) and every time I go to get one I shake my fist at this mysterious creature in vain.
Tonight's dinner is going to be a little spicy but don't leak it to the kiddo - he refuses to eat anything that could give you a little kick in the pants (obviously doesn't take after his mom).  I have already had to fib and say I used chives as he asked... HEY what are those GREEN things in there?

Dinner doesn't really follow the traditional southern "fried chicken n cornbread" theme.  In fact, I am not too sure it follows a theme at all but it does have chicken in it so that should count for something right?

Spicy Orange Chicken
8-10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp. orange zest
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 1//2 tbsp. sweet Thai chili sauce
3 dry chilies

Combine all ingredients in a zip loc bag and marinade for at least 2 hours
BBQ chicken on medium heat approx 4-5 minutes per side or until juices run clear

Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread

1 1/2 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. flour
6 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/4 c. olive oil
3 jalapeno peppers chopped
1 c. sharp cheese shredded

Mix all dry ingredients and jalapenos together in a bowl.  In a separate bowl mix eggs, sour cream and olive oil.  Combine wet into the dry ingredients and stir until just moist.  Fold in cheese.
Pour into greased skillet and bake at 350 for approx 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cut into slices and serve warm.

This meal was also accompanied by some grilled zucchini - fresh from the market!
FANTASTIC
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment