Sunday, September 5, 2010

Strawberry Cream Dream Dessert

I received a "dessert only" cookbook for a present one year and while I have opened it many times before I have only ever made 1 dessert from it. 
Why you ask? Am I lazy? HA, NO!
I guess it's because in my house, dessert is really only consumed by me, unless its chocolate, and then Little Ugh is all over that and I am forced to start hiding things and locking cupboards.  Its sad to make tantalizing treats that simply go to waste and so we normally don't have dessert unless I am in one of THOSE moods (which has been more often than not these days) or there is going to be a gathering that I can bring mouthfuls of pleasure to.  Good thing I know there is a new neighbour moving in across the street - I will force HER to enjoy my baking with me, and hey, maybe she can shovel my driveway in return!  Fair trade I think!!

I had wanted to make this dessert last week only to discover that marscapone cheese is outrageously expensive. Never sourcing it out before I was nearly sent into a deep depression when I walked into the grocery store to find it to be $11.00 a tub!!  Now, I agree that good food knows no limits but my pocketbook does and therefore this recipe was cast aside.
Then I got home and after cursing the cheese gods, I got to thinking....why cant I just make it with some cream cheese and whipping cream??  Oh dear friends....you can!! 
Let's call this....

Strawberry Cream Slice
Filling
1 pkg cream cheese (I guess you could use low fat but when trying to mimic the marscapone you really shouldn't)
1/4 c. whipping cream (35%)
1 vanilla bean
1/2 c. icing sugar - sifted
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 c. strawberries (quartered)
10 milk chocolate wafers (melted)

Crust
3/4 c. unsalted butter
1/3 c. superfine sugar (take granulated and pulse it in a blender or food processor to almost look like powdered sugar)
1 egg yolk
2 c. all purpose flour - sifted
lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease an 8x12 baking dish and line with parchment.(leaving the longer ends out)
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add in the egg yolk and beat well.  Fold in the flour and zest until well combined.  Place into baking dish and press firmly.  Prick it all over with a fork.  Bake for about 25 minutes.  Cool completely!!
While this is baking, mix the cream cheese, cream, vanilla bean and sugar until smooth.  Fold in strawberries.  Place in the refrigerator until ready to pour into the crust.
Once the crust is completely chilled, pour the cream mixture onto it and smooth out to cover the entire surface.  With your melted chocolate in hand, drizzle over the dessert.
Cool at least 3 hours to set and serve!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment