Friday, December 3, 2010

Expanding Waistlines Part 2 - Cheddar n Bacon Perogies

Who doesn't love mashed potatoes?  Cheese?  BACON?!
This gal hearts all of those things. 
To me, a big pile o' smashed taters smothered in butter is sweet heaven. 
Cheese on/in anything, YUM - especially french fries with gravy (called poutine for you non Canadian readers) is melt in your mouth goodness and then there's BACON!!  The other day I was tempted to just fry up a pound of that salty pork belly and eat it as my main course with a side of it just for kicks.  I didn't though, my guilt and my arteries yelled at me so I gave in (but I wanted to, make no mistake!)

All of these things go into the "comfort food" category for me so what better way to enjoy each of those things but to put them together in a soft dough?

I can honestly say this was the first time I have made them.  I am a guilty shopper of the frozen specimen *shocker* but since I am a big believer in purchasing fresh products I figured its about time I learned how to make them, you know, for health reasons!
I am not going to post pictures of the first 10 - 15 I created because you will all laugh, however please note that IF yours don't turn out as you begin, never fear, they do get better as you go along.

Try it, but be warned they do take some time to prepare and only minutes to eat them all.

Cheddar n Bacon Perogies

Filling
4 Yukon gold potatoes
1/3 c. butter
pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
1 c. shredded cheddar
4-5 slices bacon cooked to crisp and chopped

Boil potatoes to fork tender and mash using a hand masher with butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper - you don't want them to be whipped.
Let cool.
Meanwhile, fry bacon (I chop them into pieces first and fry) and shred cheese.
Once the potatoes are cool to touch mix cheese and bacon in.  Set aside - the dough takes about an hour to rest.

Dough (enough for 4-5 people)
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. water

Mix together all ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon.  The dough will be sticky.  Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
On a floured surface roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time, adding flour as you go along to decrease the stickiness.  Roll to about 8" x 10" and using a glass (or round cutter) cut circles.  Repeat with the rest of the dough.
Once your filling is complete, place 1 tsp. in the middle.  Flour your hands and fold the dough over and pinch starting from the top and work to the sides.
You can place them on a floured cookie sheet and freeze (then bag) for a later use or boil in a pot of lightly salted water until they float (then fry in bacon fat and onions!!)

Have fun!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment