Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sweet Treats and Expanding Waistlines Part 3 - Peanut Butter Balls

I had a friend, Lisa, whom I met on the first day of kindergarten.  We were best friends from the moment we met until the day she passed away.  Lisa was born with Cystic Fibrosis, a terminal condition affecting her lungs.  This post is for her and all of the memories we shared.

I fondly remember her sharing her grandmothers peanut butter balls with me every Christmas.  She would receive only 1 box each year overflowing with those yummy pieces. She would sneak them into her room when I was over and we would stuff as many as we could in our mouths until her mom would come down and confiscate them.  Little did she know that we also took some out just in case she found out what we were doing so we could eat some later too ;)
She never thought twice about sharing those with me even as a hot commodity and so in the spirit of sharing I would like to share the recipe with you.
It makes me feel good even now as I shove six one in my mouth and think of her :)
I miss you dear friend! XO

Grandma Harris' Peanut Butter Balls
makes about 24-30 balls

1 c. smooth peanut butter
1/4 c. butter (or margarine)
1 1/3 c. icing sugar
1 1/2 c. rice krispie cereal
1 package milk chocolate chips

Cream together peanut butter and butter until combined and smooth. Add icing sugar and stir until combined.  The dough will be a bit tight.  Add the rice krispies and stir until all combined.
Take about a tablespoon full and roll into a ball between your hands.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.  Continue until all balls have been rolled.  Place in the refrigerator (or outside because its cold enough now) and cool for about 30 minutes.
In a bowl add chocolate chips.  Place the bowl over a pot of lightly boiling water to melt making sure no steam enters the bowl or else your chocolate will seize.
Roll the balls in the chocolate and place on parchment once again.  Chill to set chocolate.
These can be frozen.
Makes for a great gift - I wouldn't mind if a package of these showed up on my doorstep!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment