Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sauce Week!! Day 1 - Mustard Wine Sauce

Not to be mistaken for Shark Week (which is also amazing) this week is my ``Ode to Sauces``.

I am not too sure the age I started enjoying sauces and gravies, it might have only been a few years ago really.  I don't remember wanting to put cheese sauce on my veggies, wine sauce on my meats, gravy on my potatoes... mmm poutine (oh you better believe we are having that this week friends!) but I do fancy them now.
Its funny really because I get a little annoyed when Mr. BM smothers my painstakingly hard work with ketchup or bbq sauce without even tasting it first.  I mean, how do you know it doesn't already taste AMAZING???...Hmmm slight contradiction I guess. Ah well, what can ya do

I suppose I should have started with a basic white sauce to kick off the week but I didn't, that`s on the menu for tomorrow, today, veal scallopini with a mustard wine sauce
I think I am going to drool all week writing these

Mustard Wine Sauce

(1 tbsp. olive oil - if starting without pan fried meats)
1 shallot finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/4 c. white wine
1/2 c. whipping cream
1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard (the grainy kind I like best)
salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste

TIP:  The best is to actually start this sauce after you have pan fried something so that you can gather all of the bits by using the wine to deglaze
Add shallots and garlic to pan (on med-high heat) and saute for 2 minutes or so, until the shallots have become a bit translucent.  you don't want your garlic to burn.  Stir in wine, scraping any bits from the pan.  Allow to reduce slightly (another 2 minutes or so) Add cream, mustard, salt and pepper.  Allow the sauce to heat through, stirring continuously for another minute or two.
Coat your veal with a few tbsp. over the top and you should be in heaven!

Veal Scallopini

Grab as many veal scallopini pieces from your butcher as needed.
Dredge your meat in flour (mixed with salt and pepper)
Pan fry until golden brown - about 3-4 minutes per side
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment