Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lovely Lasagna

Alright, I admit it, I was sad yesterday and I really REALLY needed some comfort food. 

I had entered a competition for a recipe challenge and sadly my recipe was not "original" enough.
Are you kidding me?  Quinoa Paella isn't original enough? 
I'm not bitter, I will work on something for next year but I do have to say I was so disappointed - so much so that I wanted to have the biggest piece of meaty, melty ooey gooey cheesy lasagna with NO veggies on the side.
And I did.
It was GREAT.
I even had a (small) bowl of Rolo Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
But the lasagna was better.
AND I have leftovers for Little Ugh for lunch today too.
I felt better :)


3 Meat Lasagna

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
3 chorizo links - casings removed
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pureed tomatoes
2 tsp. sugar
12 - 16 lasagna noodles ( I used a mix between regular and spinach)
2 cloves garlic grated
1 container ricotta
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese (plus more for top layer)
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese (separated)
1/2 c. chopped parsley
1/2 c. chopped basil
1 egg
salt n pepper to taste

Brown all three meats together.  Add in the oregano, both cans of tomatoes and sugar.  Mix well and simmer on low for an hour. (or less if you don't have that kind of time)

In a pot of salted boiling water add the noodles and cook to nearly done (a few minutes less than what the package tells you - it will bake in the oven)

Meanwhile, mix together the ricotta, mozzarella, parsley, basil, salt n pepper, egg and 1/2 of the parm cheese.

To assemble, place some sauce in the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish - just enough to cover.  Add a layer of noodles, place sauce over top.  Add about 6 dollops of ricotta mixture sporadically over top and spread in.  Sprinkle some parm cheese on top.  Add another layer of noodles and continue the pattern until all of the noodles are gone. 
On the final noodle layer you will add the sauce, ricotta and then a handful of extra mozzarella.

Bake in a preheated (350F) oven for 45 min to an hour.  Let rest about 5-10 minutes to set up for easier slicing.
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment