Saturday, February 26, 2011

Our Indian Experiment

Mr. BM came home the other day and says "I saw this Indian buffet driving home, I think we should go there one time, it looks neat."

SUREEEEE, first of all, he's never eaten Indian food in his life, sticks his nose up at curry, and he's not even a fan of rice or beans.  This would prove to be an interesting dinner out (which we hardly EVER do) and one that I am positive we are not ready to tackle yet. 
So, with those things (and others) in my mind and not on my tongue I decide to word it slightly differently:
"How about we try a few things here at home first and if you like them we will venture out of your Canadian bubble"

Before I get into the actual post I will tell you that he didn't like the rice or veggies but he was a fan of the chicken.  I personally enjoyed it all but I like things he does not, because, well, I am better than him. 
WAIT, not better as in I am on a pedestal, better as in I am a little more well rounded in the cuisines of the world, I could have rephrased but, meh.

So dinner was a mixture of a few flavors.  We had tandoori chicken but the rice and veggie dish was more of the earthy blends traditionally found in a garam masala.  Garam masala is usually a mixture of 5 or more ground spices incorporating cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.  I only used 4 spices so what do you call that? I dunno but it tasted good to me.
Next time around will be some curry dishes - but no goat, even I don't like that!
Try it out, let me know what you think.  If nothing else, it is a new way to enjoy your rice :)
Tandoori Chicken and 4 Spice Rice
serves 4

Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 c. plain yogurt
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ginger powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. garam masala (you can find this at a bulk store or if you have an ethnic grocery store)
*they also have pre-made spice rub packages that are pretty darn good too, but I happened to have all of these kickin around*

Mix all of the spices together first, then add to the yogurt and lemon juice.  Pierce your chicken with a fork all over so that it will absorb as much of the marinade as possible.  Place everything in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate at least 2 hours (overnight is best)
Traditionally you should bbq this but I wasn't in the mood to stand outside in the snow so I baked it in the oven at 350F for 40 minutes.

4 Spice Rice n Kale
1 c. jasmine rice
1 1/2 c. water
1 small onion diced
1 shallot diced
2 tbsp. veg oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cumin
2 c. wilted kale

I have read many places that the best jasmine rice should be soaked for at least 30 minutes prior to making so that's exactly what I did.  While its soaking you could wilt your kale in some butter and chopped garlic.
Once the rice is ready, drain and rinse - shake out as much moisture.
In a deep frying pan heat your oil on medium heat.  Add in the spices to the oil.  Next saute your onion and shallot so they become translucent.  At that point add in the rice and stir around.  Its a nice touch to toast the rice in the spice blend.  Pour in the water and bring up to a boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat down and simmer for about 15 minutes covered.  Add in the kale and toss around.
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment