Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

First, I have to tell you that I do not like sweet potatoes.  I don't know why, I just don't.  Every major holiday dinner my MIL makes them and the rest of the family gobbles them up, me, I gobble up my turkey and mashed regular taters.
Sweet potato fries?  Oven Roasted?  Yup, don't fancy them either.  I know, strange eh?

Shoot! I am Canadian and I have held out SOOO long by not adding any "Eh's" in any of my previous posts but that one sort of slipped out.

For you non Canadian readers, to settle a few myths, we do not live in igloos, we do not travel by dog sled, Ottawa is our nations capitol, and we do really love hockey (well most of us do).  But yes, EH comes flying out of our mouths on occasion after a sentence.  We cant help it, I think its our 3rd word we learn.  Dada, Mama and EH.

Alright if you have any other Canadian questions you'd like reveled lemme know.  If not, I will get back to  why I am posting this.
Because, I have found a way to enjoy this nutrient packed veggie and I thought you might want to try it too - see, I share!

This recipe is actually very simple to create.  Just try it, just once!
I don't have a disclaimer but I do highly recommend this post.


Sweet Potato Gnocchi
makes 4 servings

2  sweet potatoes

1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground sage
1 egg
2 c. flour

Peel and cut sweet potato in cubes.  Place in a pot and cover with water.  Boil for about 15-20 min or until fork tender.  Blend with some of the cooking water (a few tbsp.)  and garlic to create a puree.
Remove to a bowl.

Add in the spices and egg, mix to incorporate.

Mix in flour a little at a time (by hand with a wooden spoon) until you get a soft dough.  You may need a little less or a little more depending on your altitute or humidity in your house.


On a floured surface, roll the dough out in several long ropes.  About the circumference of a nickle.

Cut into 1-inch sections - you can make them a little fancier if you like by rolling them off the end of a fork - I need some help with this tactic.  But it does allow the gnocchi to trap some sauce better!


If you are making some this in the afternoon and are going to eat them for dinner OR you are making a bulk order, make sure you dust the gnocchi in flour and place on a floured tray.  Freeze them on the tray for about an hour and then move them to a Ziploc bag.  You can cook these either from frozen or as you make them.


 Drop the pieces into the boiling water, and allow them to cook until they float to the surface. Remove the floating pieces with a slotted spoon, and keep warm in a serving dish. Toss with butter or cream sauce.

This was me tossing them with butter, everything tastes good with butter!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment