Monday, March 7, 2011

BBQ Chicken and Goat Cheese Ravioli

What can I say, I love ravioli.  There are 2 other posts for the homemade pillows of goodness here on my blog (Chorizo n Cream Cheese Stuffed and Spinach and Ricotta).  But I will forever find new ways of enjoying it! 

With Mr. BM fulfilling his civic duty (being called for jury duty) and my day full of training the puppy, cleaning the house, doing laundry and getting a pedicure, tonight's dinner was well thought out.
I have been daydreaming about sitting down and eating ravioli since about 9am, no lie.

We had leftover bbq chicken from last nights dinner and so the wheels were turning. I went back and forth on what I wanted in it, on it, beside it.
About 1pm I decided that I wanted chunks of chicken in my pasta - no puree meat this time darn it!   And so last nights chicken and goat cheese ravioli was born.

This is an easy fix for those working peeps - you could even make a bunch and freeze them for a late night craving. 
If you have leftover chicken great, if you have time to make fresh bbq chicken even better but even if you don't, some supermarkets carry precooked whole chickens (which is what I used).  There ain't no shame in a precooked bird!  And what about those wonton wrappers? - God sent!

What I couldn't decide on (until 5pm when I started preparing dinner) was the type of sauce I wanted to accompany them.  I went from a tomato based sauce - to acidic, to a pesto or alfredo, I even thought of making a tomatoey bbq sauce.  I went for a more simplistic sauce so that the taste of the chicken and goat cheese wouldn't be played down.
A simple cream sauce with shallots and sage worked really well.
I hope you enjoy!

BBQ Chicken and Goat Cheese Ravioli


1 package wonton wrappers
2 c. bbq chicken with skin chopped
1/2 c. goat cheese (herbed if you will)
a touch of parm
1 egg
fresh pepper & cayenne pepper to taste

For the Sauce:
1 shallot thinly diced
3-4 fresh sage leaves chopped
1/2 c. chicken stock
1/4 c. heavy cream
pepper

For the filling, mix the ingredients together.
I tend to work in 4's - place each wonton wrapper down and spoon a heaping teaspoon of filling into the middle.  With your finger wet the outside perimeter with a touch of water and lay another wonton wrapper over top.  Be sure to press firmly and try to remove as much air as possible.  Continue until all of your filling is gone.
I like to nicely cut the excess off the wrappers so that I have neat pillows but you don't have to.
You'll want to start your sauce around the same time as are getting your boiling water ready.
The raviolis should only take a few minutes (they will float to the top once ready)

For the sauce, in a teaspoon of oil fry the shallots for about a minute or two.  Pour in your chicken stock and add the sage.  Reduce the liquid to nearly half.  Add in your cream and pepper.
By the time your raviolis are ready your sauce should coat the back of a spoon.
Plate your pillows and spoon over the sauce - adding a bit of parm over top if you like
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments: