Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sweet and Sour Pork

Well, after almost a weeks worth of eating takeout for dinner our family was having home cooking withdrawls.
My body was reeking havoc on me, not to mention I think I had to wear fat pants today just to feel quasi normal. 
I really have no idea how long haul truck drivers do that day in and day out for weeks on end.  We simply had a birth in our extended family and that just threw everything upside down.
All I wanted was to sit down and enjoy the fruits of my labour - and to know what exactly was in my meal.  I didn't even care if I made a plate of mashed potatoes just as long as I did it and it came from my kitchen.

I asked Little Ugh what he wanted for dinner tonight and all he said to me was "Oh, you know what you haven't made in forever.....sweet and sour pork.  Do you have time to make that?"
As a matter of fact I do, and even if I didn't have loads of time it really only takes about 20 minutes or so.
You really only need a few key ingredients and I suspect the main ones you might already have in your pantry. 
The only way I think this dish could be improved upon is if I owned a wok - any companies want to sponsor a wok-a-thon?  Maybe I will ask for this for any next major holiday...Easter gift perhaps?
Anyway, maybe try this out on your fam - they will thank you.

Sweet and Sour Pork
serves 4 - 6
*please note the measurements of the sauce are as accurate as possible, I tend to throw a bit of this and a dash of that in to suit my taste*

1 pork tenderloin
marinade in 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar and 1 tsp. cornstarch.

For the sauce:
1 can pineapple tidbits (or fresh pineapple chopped)
1/2 - 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1/2 - 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 - 1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. plum sauce
1 c. Heinz ketchup
1/3 c. pineapple juice
1 onion diced

2 cloves garlic chopped
2 green onion bulbs sliced
1 orange pepper
1 celery stalk
For the batter:
1 c. flour
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 egg
a touch of water
fresh cracked pepper

First, remove the silver lining on your tenderloin


Cut into 1 inch cubes and place them into a bowl.  Combine your vinegar, soy sauce and cornstarch and mix with your meat.

Let sit 10-15 minutes.
Next prepare your sauce.
Combine together vinegar, Worcestershire, soy, ketchup, plum sauce and pineapple juice.  Mix with a whisk and set aside.


Next you'll want to get together your batter and drop your marinated pork in and toss around to coat.

Get your oil hot in a deep frying pan or pot.  You'll want a few inches in the bottom of the pan.  Working in batches place the pork in your pan (don't overcrowd) turning after about 3-4 minutes until browned on all sides - altogether about 6-8 minutes per batch.  Remove and place on a paper towel.


I reused the same pan, although I cleaned out the frying oil and replaced it with a few tsp. of fresh oil for the sauce.
Add garlic and onion to the pan and lightly saute - you don't want to burn your garlic so best to do this on medium heat.  Add in your celery and cook another minute or so.  Add in your pepper and pineapple.  Once you can smell the sweetness of the pepper toss in your sauce.  Let bubble for a minute or two so that it has a chance to thicken slightly.  Add in your pork, toss to coat.  Sprinkle in your green onion and then serve over white rice.
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment