Monday, April 18, 2011

April Snow Showers Bring Chicken n Biscuits?

It's mid April and while last weekend was a balmy 21 with a touch of rain, today we had snow. SNOW!

Snow, you ruined my plans of balsamic glazed bbq chicken, you better not come back until at least December now, I'm warning you!
I just want so badly to bring out the pitchers of lemonade, the pretty summer plates, enjoy a nice leisurely dinner on the deck while the sun beats down.  WHEN?!
*sigh*

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those gals that can't get wet or bbq in the snow but sometimes Mr. BM is, and tonight was supposed to be his reign with the tongs.  He declined so I amended the game plan.
It was cold and I didn't want to be cold, I want comfort. 

Bbq is to summer like comfort and warmth is to chicken n biscuits.
I will save my balsamic glazed idea for nicer weather, when we can enjoy it fully - outside.

Oven fried crispy chicken with homemade biscuits it is, and so I put on my fleece pants, rolled up my parka and dove in.

I must say that the biscuits, while delicious and flaky, felt like they needed something.  Maybe some herbs or more butter.  I will make them again, just adding some flare.

I'm listening to: Walkin on Sunshine, Katrina and the Waves


Oven Fried Chicken and Biscuits
double the recipe for biscuits to serve more than 3 people


Biscuits:
1 c. flour
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. milk




In a bowl combine the dry ingredients.
With 2 forks, or a pastry cutter if you have one cut in the butter until it looks like bits of sand.
Stir in the milk and continue to stir until it starts to pull away from the sides.
Turn out onto a floured surface.  Do not knead too much, about 10 times just to incorporate.  If you over work the dough it will produce rock hard hockey pucks.
Using a rolling pin flatten to about 1 inch thickness and make rounds with a floured glass or round cookie cutter.
Bake in a preheated 425F oven for about 13 minutes or until just starting to brown.

Chicken:
6 chicken thighs
1 egg white
1 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder (not salt)
1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper

Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces.  In a dish whisk the egg white until frothy.
In another dish combine the bread crumbs and spices.
Dip chicken into the egg white followed by the crumb mixture. 
Place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven for about 40 minutes.
No need to turn.
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment