Monday, May 9, 2011

MashUp Monday - Meatloaf Cupcakes

Not cupcakes that taste like meatloaf because that would be gross, but meatloaf that looks like a cupcake!!
It's almost like you are eating your dessert for dinner, you aren't but it's fun to pretend anyway isn't it?

When I announced dinner plans I had aberrant reactions.
Really?  What's not to love? 
I think they thought I was making cupcakes that tasted like meatloaf - remember...gaaarrooosss, wouldn't do that.
Once they were made however they got rave reviews.

A few tips I discovered while trying this out:
  • Make sure your muffin cups or pan is heavily greased or else they will come out looking like you regurgitated dinner and threw it on a plate (ok that was gross, sorry)
  • Lumps in pastry bags = messy, make sure your mashed potatoes are not only mashed but whipped
Those are 2 main ones, from experience.
Also, I think when I make this again I will incorporate chives or other herbs and some cheese for the "sprinkle look" or maybe tint the potatoes with beet juice or use sweet potatoes as well for variety.

All in all, it was a great way to incorporate your meat and your potatoes in one bite!

I'm Listening to: Bob Marley vs. Beatles  (two of my fav's)

Meatloaf Cupcakes
makes 9 cupcakes

1 lb. ground chicken (or beef or pork)
1 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp. parsley
1 tbsp. Worcestershire
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. sage
1 tbsp. onion flakes
salt and pepper
Glaze:
1/2 c. ketchup
a few tbsp. brown sugar
a few shakes of Worcestershire
1 tsp. dry mustard

Topping:
whipped garlic mashed potatoes

Line your muffin tins with paper liners and spray them with cooking spray (a step that I missed).
In a bowl combine all of your ingredients (less the glaze and topping).
Form into balls and place them into the muffin cups.
Bake in a preheated (350F) oven for about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl mix together the glaze items and after the 15 minutes spoon on top.  Continue to bake another 10 minutes or so.
Remove from oven.
Spoon or pipe your mashed potatoes on top.
Serve warm
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment: