Friday, May 6, 2011

Mexican Inspired Salad

Ever try jicama?
Its pronounced hicema.  A root veggie that resembles a large turnip that you peel like a potato and tastes something of a combination of an apple/green bean maybe? 

Whatever it is its darn good!

I have seen it used many times on tv and in magazines and for the life of me I wasn't sure why we'd never had it before until last night!  It is commonly eaten raw - which is how I prepared it but I've also seen recipes for soups and stir frys using the veg.

Since yesterday was Cinco de Mayo and we had Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas I thought this salad fitting as a side.
Now I found this recipe on Epicurious' website but I removed some of the ingredients (i.e. tomatoes and radishes because I didn't have any)

First thing I did was peel and cut the jicama into matchstick pieces so that I could try it out and I have to say it took me a little bit to put it to my lips. 


I actually gave it to Little Ugh first and said "here, you'll like it".

I'm not sure why I felt his palate would encourage me to try it, maybe seeing his reaction?
He tried to tell me it tasted like onion - could have been that I was chopping onion prior too - teehee he is not a fan of onions.  But he didn't spit it out or cringe so I being the brave mom that I am threw a whole chunk in my mouth.
By George! I think I love it!

Folks, Jicama gets 2 thumbs up from this gal!

I'm Listening to: Let's Go Surfing - The Drums (thanks Amanda!)

Mexican Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

1 head of green leaf lettuce
1 can of peaches and cream corn, drained and rinsed
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. jicama, sliced into matchstick pieces (or more because its great)
1 red pepper, sliced into matchstick pieces
1 avocado, cubed
crumbled feta cheese (because my stores do not carry Queso Fresco)

Dressing:
1/4 c. lime juice
1/4 c. olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp. honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced

Pretty straight forward.  Rinse and drain the beans and corn.  Prepare your jicama and pepper by cutting it into small matchstick slices. Cube your avocado. Toss all of that into your bowl

Add in your leaf lettuce and toss around.
To make your dressing, simply add all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
Drizzle 1/2 over the salad and mix to coat.  I found that this recipe made quite a lot of dressing and didn't want to feel like it was swimming so add a bit more if you need to.
Serve cold
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. They are crunchy and juicy when you bite to them. Yeah we used to eat them like fruit. Great idea to put in salad and looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete