Sunday, June 12, 2011

The UnTaco

When I mentioned we were going to have lettuce wraps I got the run around.
Little Ugh went from "I'm not hungry" to "I don't feel well" and ended up with "really mom? lettuce cups?"

Not cups, wraps.
Like tacos.
Minus the tortillas, sour cream, and grated cheese.  Not Mexican inspired, but a little Asian flared.

"But those are my favorite things about tacos"
I know, mine too, mine too.
Don't worry, you'll like them - or at least you are going to eat them and pretend to like them!

Picking up a bottle of Memories of Singapore (PC Brand) inspired this dish.
I wasn't really in the mood to create my own sauce.  Sometimes I am lazy.
A simple way to dress up your meat and/or noodles was in order.
It fit the bill.  The flavor was nice, we enjoyed it (rephrase, I enjoyed it, and even had leftovers).

Sometimes going carbless hurts.
Hurts me real bad, like a punch in the face.

I couldn't do it, in fact, I didn't do it - we had chow mein noodles on the side.
But you don't have to, its not a rule.
Enjoy!

I'm listening to: Brighter Hell, The Watchmen (from the Horseshoe 2009 - I was there!)
Lettuce Cups

1 lb ground pork
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced or puree
2 cloves garlic,  minced or puree
1 small onion, diced
2 carrots, shaved
1/4 c. Memories of Singapore sauce
8 Boston lettuce leaves, washed and dried
green onion for garnish




In a frying pan brown the pork.
When the meat is nearly cooked, add in the diced onion and sesame oil.  Stir and saute with the meat for about a minute or two.  Add in the ginger and garlic.
I like to use my rasp to make a paste of the garlic and ginger.


Pour in the sauce and stir to coat.
Place in a bowl and let cool slightly.
Wash your lettuce thoroughly and dry - be very careful not to split the leaves.
Shred your carrot (potato peeler works great).
Assemble as you would a taco.
Place in mouth, chew.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. It should be the week of the 'untaco'. I did a lettuce wrap this week on my blog, alphabiteical.blogspot.com

    I am going to try your recipe; I am eager to work with fresh ginger, never have.

    Thanks for sharing, and I hope that Little Ugh liked the lettuce cups

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jim, thanks for the follow - will check out your post shortly! Fresh ginger is so great! you don't need much, and it's so versitle.
    PS. he ate them, not sure he enjoyed them as much as I did tho ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much like caffeine free carb free makes me very cranky LOL.. But these look fun and tasty.

    ReplyDelete