Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Spiced Roasted Candy Carrots

Candy and veggies?
SOLD!

This was my first attempt at creating a candied carrot.
I saw a recipe in the Betty Crocker pamphlet at my local grocer last week and thought, hey, I have those ingredients, why not?

Yes, why not.....

Well, I have to tell you I was slightly disappointed in the "candied" bit.
They didn't really get all glazed and crunchy around the edges like I was hoping.
Maybe that wasn't supposed to happen?
I suspect my ratios were a bit off since I sorta went with what I remembered reading.

The carrots however tasted great, a different flavor - a subtly smokey earthy flavor rather than a sweet carrot like you would think.
I liked the outcome, I just wasn't WOW'd
Possibly next time I would use a hint of brown sugar or maybe some maple syrup.

There are no photos because when sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner with 16 other people who don't want to wait for you to take photos of food in various lighting positions before they can eat you have to be kind to their rumbling bellies.
I have even tried Googling the title Roasted Candied Carrots, NADA - no linking for photos either...way to go Betty Crocker, way to burn me twice on the same recipe.

But here's how you can make them (from what I remember):

2 lbs. baby carrots
1/4 c. honey
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika

In a bowl combine all the ingredients except the carrots.  Heat your oven proof dish in a 425F oven first.  Spray with PAM (cooking spray).
Toss the carrots in the mixture and add to the pre heated dish.
Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, stirring once.
Serve immediately

I'm Listening to: Alone - Heart
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment: