Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Winning Weekend

This weekend I was lucky enough to join so many wonderful exhibitors, sponsors, baking enthusiasts and happy, treat craved shoppers at the first Canada's Baking and Sweets Show.
The show was held at the International Center in Mississauga, Ontario and ran Friday September 30th - Sunday October 2nd and was presented by Redpath Sugar.

Walking in, we were greeted with an exquisite array of professionally decorated cakes.  I admit, I admired them probably way more than the average attendee.  Such intricate details.  How can you not marvel at the time that those must have taken!?

FABULOUS! 

Walking past those certainly made my tongue tingle and there may have even been a little drool pooling in the corners of my mouth.

Off to find some samples, I mean new friends.

I swung by and checked out Bronwen Weber (Food Network Challenge Star) at the Just Add Flour booth as she was instructing passerbyes how to create molded figures.  I chatted to her briefly, congratulated her on her past challenges and went on my merry way.


Buddy Valastro, Cake Boss, was in appearance on Sunday (the only day I didn't attend) however I did manage a quick shot with him, even if it was a cutout.


Many great exhibitors fed your cravings with an array of cookies, confections, and cupcakes. Even bagels and cheeses were to be found.
You could also find fresh breads, British fare and spicy jellies and marinades if you weren't into the sweets.

One of my favorite booths was Golda's Kitchen.  I spent a good portion of my visit in that booth, creating ideas in my head as I shopped.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one, it was PACKED both days visited.  My wallet does not thank me for stopping but my heart does.

My last stop on Saturday was the competition stage where the home baking competitions were being judged by Heather of the Cupcake Girls, Erin from the Happy Baker and Marian from Sweetopia.

I happened to have been named one of the five finalists for the blueberry muffin recipe category.
The crowd dissipated slightly so I was able to see them sample each of the entries one at a time.
10 categories in total, 5 finalists in each = sugar coma I'm sure.
It was a nail biter.

After watching them test the first 8 categories I was feeling a bit nervous. 
Recipes were simply submitted by email with ingredients and instructions - what if the test kitchens messed up, what if their ovens were hotter/colder than mine?
I patiently waited and watched as they began the blueberry muffin category.
I saw them pointing to the first plate after trying them all - unanimously they picked #1.
Who's number 1?
OH
ME!
GET THE HECK OUT!!!!

The winners of each category received a KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer (in metallic) and a box of wonderful items for the kitchen donated by Cuisipro.
I. Was. Ecstatic.
Never have I entered a recipe and been selected even as a finalist let alone a winner!
Great way to end my time at the show.

Thank you to all of the volunteers, exhibitors/sponsors, guests and the show producers for putting on your first event.  I am sure there are kinks to be worked out as I read many disappointing reviews about Sunday's event, but all in all I believe it was successful for everyone.
I will certainly be attending again next year and look forward to hearing more from Redpath Sugar and the shows site.


*Redpath Sugar, Canada's Baking and Sweets Show and any other party listed here was in no way part of this post, the opinions and expressions are my own*
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Congrats that is seriously cool, Well deserved I am sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow! That's AWESOME! Congratulations! I am absolutely thrilled for you! Not only did you get to attend an amazing show, but you won a mixer? How cool are you? (Rhetorical - you're awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Congratulations! I went on Friday, I as well spent a good portion of my time at the Golda booth. I hope you kept your wrist band. There is a code for free shipping. :)

    I loved the cakes they had on displayed. I couldn't believe how big that Frankenstein cake was!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! it was certianly a great way to end a wonderful show :)

    ReplyDelete