Sunday, November 27, 2011

200th Post! Puddin All the Way!

Ohhh its chocolate craving season!
You'd think with Halloween just past that I woulda filled my quota of chocolate overload - nope.
This time of year makes me think of peppermint bark, rum balls, chocolate peanut butter balls, truffles not to mention a nice rich piping cup of hot cocoa with a little whipped cream on top...oh this list could go on for miles really.
So I'm just gonna stop right there and let you come up with your own favorite chocolate treats while I take a big ole spoonful of the chocolate pudding I just made.

That's right, I made pudding.
And not from a box, Bill Cosby didn't endorse it (although I bet if he would have had a little nibble he'd forget Jello ever existed).

This recipe isn't my own, I used one I found on Allrecipes.com because I lacked cream, and I am woman enough to admit that I have never made it without it and I wanted to see what the difference was (other than higher fat content) and required some direction.
Personally I have to tell ya that I prefer it this way, sans cream. 
I also made a slight addition of some amazing Cacao Barry chocolate


which just heightened the taste to new levels and made my less than 20 cents a serving dessert probably closer to 1.20!
(It's sorta on the higher side of the chocolate spectrum, but I used it sparingly so that I have plenty left for really awesome desserts later)

Oh, and we threw a little in some popsicle molds for tomorrow too - can you say fudgesicle?
Enjoy

I'm Listening To: Dy'er Mak'er - Led Zeppelin


Heavenly Chocolate Pudding (Cooked)
2 3/4 c. 1% milk
1/2 c. vanilla sugar
3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/4 c. cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. 70% semi sweet chocolate (chopped if you don't have discs)



In your pot whisk together the sugar, cocoa, salt and cornstarch.
On medium heat slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Once it is thick enough to coat a spoon remove from heat immediately and stir in the butter, vanilla and chocolate.
Place in a heat proof bowl and cover with plastic wrap right on top of the pudding.
Refrigerate to cool
(or you could eat warm, or you could add to popcicle molds - all of which I did)
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 200th post! Your pudding looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks perfect and creamy! :) Great recipe, I hardly ever see anyone make pudding from scratch anymore.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay hooray on your 200th post! That's a lot of cooking, writing and food photos -- thanks for sharing them with us. Looking forward to more!

    Lol at your Bill Cosby reference -- I'd forgotten about the ol' Jello commercials. :) I make pudding from scratch, too, and your recipe sounds wonderful. (So do the pudding pops!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! Wonderful sweet treat for this season. It looks so perfect! Btw.. Congrats on your 200th post. I'm so happy for you. Keep up the good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 200th post! That's a huge accomplishment! Now onto this delicious pudding :) It looks awesome, smooth, rich, silky, exactly what a pudding should be. Great recipe, it's perfect for the holidays--simple, easy, and a change from all the heavy cookies and cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome achievement on your 200th post... congratulations! I make homemade pudding, but have never tried it with vanilla sugar... definitely a YES! Lol about Bill Cosby. :)

    ReplyDelete