Monday, November 14, 2011

Low Fat Less Taste?

I have to fit into a wedding dress in 5 months!
Time to revamp some meals to ensure no cups runneth over.

Now we aren't traditionally big fatty food eaters (lean meats, light oils mostly) and normally round our meals out with all the food groups but you and I both know that some meals could use a little fat reducers here and there.

Does low fat equal less taste?
I've heard the debates.
I do believe that sometimes, some things just taste better full fat.
chocolate. ice cream. 
A good frozen yogurt or gelato is great but c'mon, the creamy smoothness of full dairy fat oh yes....heaven.
I beg to differ however with meats and more savory dishes.
You can add lower fat content sour creams, substitute cottage cheeses, take away calorie laden sauces, skin birds and always, always use fresh herbs and spices to please your palate!

I found a recipe in one of my many cookbooks for a Greek dish that sounded amazing.
Pastitsio.
Pasta, meat, creamy cheese sauce.
Sounds like lasagna. mmmmm lasagna....

This is a lightened up version of one that you may find on the web but isn't lacking flavor one bit!
If you like lasagna, you'll eat this.
Enjoy!

PS I guess I am gonna have to make it again since my camera card decided that it wanted full fat and conked out - tear.....
I'm Listening To: Doll Parts - Hole


Chicken Pastitsio

1 lb. ground chicken
2 1/2 c. rice pasta
1 large onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 carrot shredded
1 c. red wine
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 tbsp. pasta sauce
1 1/4 c. 1 % milk
2 tbsp. margarine
3 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tomatoes
panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet brown the onion and ground chicken together.
Add in you shredded carrot and diced peppers.
Once browned add in the pasta sauce, wine and cinnamon.

Drop your pasta in a separate pot of boiling salted water (cook to soft so that you get the creaminess) while you let the meat mixture reduce.

In another pot prepare your bechamel sauce.
Add margarine, flour and milk on a medium heat and whisk continuously until thickened and creamy.  Add in your nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Now you are ready to create your layers.
Add the meat mixture to a oven proof dish, spread out the pasta over top.
Top with thinly sliced tomato and top with the bechamel.
Lightly coat the top with some panko breadcrumbs and pop into a preheated 400F oven for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

This meal does create a multitude of dishes to be washed (which is my nemesis) but its worth it!
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. this is funny. I was just saying to my daughter we need to make pastitio ... it's been a long time since I made it ... and here you are posting it! yours sounds so delicious. if only I could have popped over to your house for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, you'll have to make it and send me a photo HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some things are OK as low fat, but some things are NOT ok. Yogurt, sourcream, gah! These things leave such a bitter taste if they don't have the fat in them. Good luck slimming down!

    ReplyDelete