Sunday, January 8, 2012

Everything Old is New Again

I guess you could say I was in a revampment mood.
Let's shake things up a little shall we?
The hum drum of sausage and peppers was getting to me. 
Sure, I've put them in pasta, I've made them with mashed tators, heck, I've even stuffed the peppers with sausage, and while those dishes are all super I thought it was time for something new to go with the old.

Strata!

My favorite part of this meal you ask?  It wasn't so much the outcome but how I got there.
I loved squeezing out the meat from the casings....like playdoh in your hands!
Weird right?
You know, I get a little cheery when I vacuum too - dust bunny one minute, whooooop up it goes, whizzin around the canister - HA got you suckers!
Ok, I'll stop now...a little side of crazy every now and then is fine but I don't want to scare you off of this great dinner idea.

Honestly, this is a simple way to change things up a little from your everyday sausage and pepper meal.

Enjoy!

I'm Listening to:  Soak Up The Sun - Sheryl Crow



Sausage and Pepper Strata

3 or 4 turkey sausages
2 small yellow peppers, thinly sliced
1 loaf french bread
5 eggs
2 c. 1% milk
1/3 c. half and half cream
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 bunch of green onions chopped
1 tsp. oregano
handful of freshly chopped parsley (optional)
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 c. Italian blend shredded cheese

Remove sausage meat from the casings and brown in a heavy skillet with a touch of olive oil.
Cut your bread into 1 inch cubes and set aside.
Add your pepper slices to the skillet and saute.
In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, cream, fennel seeds, green onions, oregano, parsley, Parmesan cheese and whisk.

Grease a 8x11" casserole dish with some butter, add 1/2 of the bread and pour half of the egg mixture, sprinkle half the Italian cheese and then half of the meat/peppers.  Repeat.
Let stand 25 minutes, occasionally pushing down the bread into the liquid.
Bake uncovered at 350F for about an hour.  It should be puffed up and browned slightly.

You'll want to let it cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. That looks sooo good! Interesting adding the fennel seeds, I bet the flavor is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nice new take on sausage and peppers. Very tasty I am sure

    ReplyDelete