Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Guest Post with Hun What's for Dinner - Slow Cooked Chicken Tostadas

Ahhh Cindy, a beautiful mother of 2 and a lucky woman of a chef husband...you'd think that would be daunting wouldn't you?  Not to her!
She pulls out all the stops and creates her family meals that I drool over all the time!
I have been fortunate enough to be a follower of hers on Facebook as well as her blog, Hun What's for Dinner.
Cindy was one of the first people to come to my rescue when I posted about having some guests post while I am away honeymooning (yup, that's right, we're finally married!) and I couldn't be happier!
Especially with this post.  Its going to be tested as soon as I'm back!!  I`m a HUGE Mexican fan - like I could eat it almost every day - I say almost because I happen to love pasta too...they have to both compete for my love....
So here it is, take it away CINDY!



Hi Everybody,

Cindy here, from Hun... What's for Dinner? I am super excited to be guest posting for Katrin today since she is away enjoying, what I hope is, a fabulous honeymoon. How exciting is that??

I first found Running with the Devil(ed) Eggs on Facebook. I was instantly drawn to Betty Martha's (Katrin's alter ego) wit and amazing recipes. The fact that she is a fellow Canadian, just makes me love her that much more, LOL.
One of the features I love most about her blog is the Mash Ups. She takes two ingredients, or foods, and puts them together to create something fabulous and mouth watering. So, when she put the word out that she needed help from fellow bloggers to cover for her (while she was celebrating one of the most awesome times of her life), I quickly volunteered.

Today I would like to share a recipe perfect for Cinqo de Mayo- Chicken Tostadas. We love Mexican themed meals in this house and have them at least 3 times a month. There is something about the combination of spices and cheese that make us love a good Mexican dinner. While one of our staples is tacos, I decided to switch it up a bit, and decided to make Tostadas. These are basically a crisp corn tortilla, topped with shredded chicken, cheese and any other favourite toppings you'd like. I decided to slow cook my chicken in the crock pot, with tomatoes, beans and great herbs. The result was flavourful, tender chicken. The kids totally flipped over these. The whole time we were eating, Mr.B kept mentioning how delicious it was. Queenie? Well she ate the whole thing without complaining, so that's a win in my book, LOL. I'm glad the kids have approved another Mexican dish, so we can broaden our repertoire.


Slow Cooked Chicken Tostadas

1 lb boneless skinless chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, partially drained
1 14.5 oz can of red kidney beans/ or black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 can of limeade concentrate
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped
1 tsp adobo sauce from peppers
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 tsp sea salt
fresh cracked black pepper
12 corn tortillas
oil for frying
shredded cheese
lettuce
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
salsa
sour cream

In a large bowl combine the can of diced tomatoes, beans, onion, chipotle pepper and sauce, garlic, limeade, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well to combine. Place chicken in a 4 quart crock pot and cover with tomato mixture. Cook on low for 6 hrs; until the chicken reads 165, on a digital thermometer. Remove chicken from crock pot, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. I found the tomato and bean mixture was too watery, so I threw it into a large skillet, brought it to a boil and simmered it, until it reached the thickness I desired.

In a large skillet, heat 1 inch of oil, over medium heat. Submerge tortillas, one at a time, and cook for 3 minutes on each side, until they are crispy and begin to brown slightly. Remove to a paper towel lined cooling rack. Once tortillas are all crisped, shred the chicken with two forks.

To assemble: Top 1 tortilla with chicken, some tomato/bean mixture and a combination of your favourite taco toppings.


Thanks Cindy for sharing with us all!! XO
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for this opportunity, Katrin! Congrats to you and Mr Deviled Eggs and I wish you two a life full of happiness and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful guest post, Cindy! Looks fabulous! Now I wish I had all the items at home, I LOVE Mexican inspired food too.
    Congratulations, Katrin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations everyone! Newly weds I hope you are relaxing and enjoying all that is wonderful about the beginning of a marriage. Cindy, great post. I am getting some chicken! This sounds like something the kids should like.

    ReplyDelete