Thursday, May 3, 2012

Confession - No Longer a Virgin (of Chicken Salad)

Can I share with you that I was officially a chicken salad sandwich virgin until I made this meal.  I really have no idea what made me think of making it.  I always had this pre conceived notion that chicken salad sammies were gross.  You are probably shaking your head right now, maybe even your fists.  But listen, I have good reason.

Pretty sure my Nanny tried to make me eat one when I was a kid and I refused.
She had used chicken in a can.  Like tuna.  It just didn't seem right.
In fact, my nanny liked everything in a can, or a box.  She hated to cook, and it shined thru.
Worst.  Memory.  Ever - spam (can), a large tub of potato flakes (box) and creamed corn (can) dinner.
I shudder.

Actually, because of her (rest in peace) every time I am in a restaurant and I want mashed potatoes I am VERY inquisitive about the nature of their processes.  If the server even hesitates when I ask if they are REAL mashed potatoes I wont eat em and then black list that establishment.  She made me a food snob without even knowing it!

So what made me want to eat it now?
I have no idea.
Actually, maybe I was trying to abolish my fears and use up my leftover chicken in ways I normally wouldn't have. 
Fears gone, well, wait, I still fear eating it at someone elses house if they don't know how to cook.  That's beside the point, point here is if you like chicken salad sandwiches (or even if you think you don't) you really need to check this recipe out.
I used Greek yogurt and some bottled Greek dressing along with the usual Greek salad/chicken salad suspects and popped it into a pita.
VOILA!
OPA!

I'm Listening to:  Blaze of Glory - Bon Jovi

Chicken "OPA" Salad Pitas

makes 2 large pita pockets

2 c. cooked chicken, cubed
1/3 c. Greek yogurt
3-4 tbsp. Kraft Oregano with Feta dressing
2-3 tbsp. diced red onion
1-2 tbsp. crumbled Greek feta, plus more for garnish
1 celery stalk, diced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 clove garlic, pressed
salt and pepper to taste
cucumber slices, olives, tomatoes (if you wish) on top
pita pockets

In a bowl combine the yogurt, dressing, crumbled feta, celery, garlic and onion.  TASTE.  Season.
Add in the chicken.  Place into a pita and top with cucumbers/olives/tomatoes/feta.
EAT
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I love chicken salad but never thought to use yogurt or feta in it. It does sound delicious! I'll have to try it this way next time I have leftover chicken. BTW, I don't like anything in a can and my Mom used to try to feed me fried Spam as a kid too...yuck! In fact, Spam might have been the turning point for my culinary curiosity. lol

    ReplyDelete