Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pineapple n Heirloom Tomato Salsa! Guest Post - Its Yummilicious

Hi everyone! I'm tickled pink that Katrin asked me to offer up a recipe for all of you. I think she's absolutely wonderful (and I'm sure you agree, or you wouldn't be here), so when I heard that she needed some help this week, I jumped around and waved my arms like a crazy girl until she picked me. You should know that I'm a bit obsessed with helping others. I love the smiles it brings when I can help remove some of the heavy load from the shoulders of people that I care about.
This past Saturday, I spent a couple of hours at my local farmers market. I can't even begin to describe how giddy it made me to walk up and down the streets. I loved being able to chat with the local farmers. The Wisconsin weather has taken a huge hit on the crops around here. We had virtually no snow last winter and the spring and summer have been outrageously hot. Spring crops like cherries were virtually non-existent, and the poor corn, beans, and zucchini are just scrawny and dried out. About the only crops that haven't suffered too terribly bad are the tomatoes. Many of the farmers grow them hydroponically or in hot houses, so we've had some luscious looking beefsteak, plum, and cherry tomatoes. Even the heirloom turned out well, so I definitely took advantage of the situation and bought some gorgeous yellow ones. I wanted to use them in a dish where they would become the shining star, so this salsa recipe was just the ticket!

This salsa is light and refreshing, with just a tiny bite from the diced Chile peppers. Depending on how spicy you like your food, you could also use diced jalapeno peppers or even something hotter like habeneros. I served this over broiled Haddock and it was awesome, but it would make a perfect snack with some chips or crackers, too!

SPICY YELLOW TOMATO & PINEAPPLE SALSA Yield: 4 cups 2-3 Heirloom (yellow) tomatoes, seeded and medium diced 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced 3 Tablespoons fresh pineapple juice 2/3 cup red onion, finely diced 1 fresh jalapeƱo, Serrano, or Habanero pepper, seeded and minced 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste Combine all ingredients except salt, pepper, and basil together in a non-reactive bowl and refrigerate 2 hours, stirring occasionally to allow the flavors to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with basil and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. With you two girls together, there's danger in the air!! This salsa is to die for...I need no chips or crackers...just a big spoon! xo ally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ally! I think I'll just whip up another batch so that we can chow down together! :)

      Delete