Monday, April 29, 2013

Bring On The Heat! BBQ'd Buffalo Chicken Sandwich

Oh lordy lordy, where is our summer?
Wait, I'd just settle for spring!  I don't know how your weather has been in the past few weeks but I thought we were all concerned about global warming?  BRING ON THE WARMING.
Actually, the heat scares me a little this year since I'll be ohhhh Fatty Mc Fatster all pregnant and ready to give birth in August.  Thank goodness for air con right?

While we are still far from being seasonal (our tree JUST started budding) we did have a couple days this past week where it was remotely enjoyable to stand outside long enough to BBQ and not have to either grab an umbrella or a parka.
So, like any normal person, I opted to grill!
BRING ON THE WARMING!

We buy our chicken in bulk, I always portion them out and freeze for meals so sometimes it can be a little tough having leftovers (because the boys wont usually eat them for some strange reason).
I had taken out breasts (packaged in 3, one for each) but it seemed the men were hungrier than normal.....right, so I have to make these go farther.....in one meal.....without pasta or stir fry because they didn't "want" that.
Ok, I'll halve them, and make 6 pieces (I'm a genius aren't I?)
If I add some ciabatta bread to the mix that'll fill em up more.



Maybe even sneak in some veggies?
Now, the flavor.
Buffalo chicken wings were once one of my favorite things to eat (truth be told I'm more of a suicide wing gal) and haven't had them in years.  Why not right?
Lets begin the flashback memories
Wing nights:
10 cent wings (man do I wish they were still that price)
copious amounts of wet naps
burning tongues
friends gathered in a dive bar
beer (what was I thinking?)
I'll stop there.

Dinner menu set, BBQ Buffalo Chicken Sammies it is.  (with a ranchy type sauce because I don't blue cheese it - EVER)

I'm listening to:  Like a Rock - Bob Seger



BBQ'd Buffalo Chicken Sandwich


2-3 chicken breasts, halved
ciabatta buns
cayenne pepper
salt & pepper
granulated garlic
olive oil
Buffalo sauce
ranchy condiment
shredded cheese (to top)
baby spinach (to top)

Buffalo Sauce
2 tbsp butter
1/4 c. Franks Red Hot sauce (or any other chili sauce but Franks really is where its at yo)

In a pot melt the butter on low heat and then stir in your hot sauce.
Keep warm.

Ranch Inspired Condiment
1/4 c. Greek yogurt
1/4 c. full fat sour cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
a couple dashes of Worcestershire
1 clove garlic
couple pinches of cayenne pepper
lots of fresh cracked pepper
salt to taste

Prepare your ranch sauce first.
Using an immersion blender (or food processor) place all the ingredients except salt and pepper into a container and blend for a few seconds to combine.  Add pepper and salt to taste. Let sit at least 15 minutes (longer to meld flavors)

Wash and pat dry your chicken breasts.
Lengthwise split the breasts in half (starting like a butterfly then proceeding to cut through)
Season both sides of the breasts with a sprinkling of each of the spices.
Pre heat your grill then turn down to medium heat.
Lightly drizzle some olive oil over the chicken and grill, 3-4 minutes per side (or until no longer pink)
Remove and tent while you toast your ciabatta buns with a little olive oil on the grill!

To assemble dip your breasts into the buffalo sauce to coat, place on your bun, top with a little shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend), baby spinach and finally a few dollops of ranch sauce.



Enjoy!





Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Thick bread, spicy sauce, and real meat (as in not that deli schtuff)- that's a perfect sandwich! Looks deelish!

    ReplyDelete